Monday, January 30, 2006

no wonder my electric bill's so high

Image hosting by Photobucket

this fat fucker (bad bob) absorbs all the heat.

Image hosting by Photobucket

and budgie (or should i say 'pudgie'/barrel cat) is just as bad.

worryingly i don't have one of dinah, the smallest but eldest one.

worrying too that i am resorting to blogging my cats....



edit: d situation now rectified - here she is in all her sultry glory........


double edit: with acknowledgements to manu for posting this elsewhere:

"a translation of a poem written at the same time (800 CE) by a monk who was a copyist and I'd like to post the translation."


Pangur Ban

I and Pangur Ban my cat,
'Tis a like task we are at:
Hunting mice is his delight,
Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than praise of men
'Tis to sit with book and pen;
Pangur bears me no ill-will,
He too plies his simple skill.

'Tis a merry task to see
At our tasks how glad are we,
When at home we sit and find
Entertainment to our mind.

Oftentimes a mouse will stray
In the hero Pangur's way;
Oftentimes my keen thought set
Takes a meaning in its net.

'Gainst the wall he sets his eye
Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I
All my little wisdom try.

When a mouse darts from its den,
O how glad is Pangur then!
O what gladness do I prove
When I solve the doubts I love!

So in peace our task we ply,
Pangur Ban, my cat, and I;
In our arts we find our bliss,
I have mine and he has his.

Practice every day has made
Pangur perfect in his trade;
I get wisdom day and night
Turning darkness into light.

-- Anon., (Irish, 8th century)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that pudgie one is quite cute.

i make mine come and sit next to me to warm me up - no electric heaters for mine!

12:23 pm  
Blogger zoe said...

yeah, pudgie's acely cute. she makes mental noises as well, and purrs like a motorbike. oh and she drinks water by putting her tail in the bowl (or cat spa, on vet's recommendation) and licking it off of her tail. she likes licking windows and plastic bags too.

mine are obviously all spoilt bastards ;)

is yours called hamish? or did i make that up?

2:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes - one is hamish, one is merlin

1:42 pm  
Blogger merrick said...

Count yourself lucky, missy. Bob is friggin Kate Moss next to this bugger.

3:15 am  
Blogger zoe said...

oh, the mental images that ensued before i clicked on the link.
(i wondered at precisely which point in his life bob had met ms moss, let alone... well, you get the rest).

3:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home