Monday, November 07, 2005

until we all start putting the needs of others first....

this appeared on indymedia's newswire a few weeks ago. really liked the response that robbie gave. useful links too.
_______________________________________

Until we all start putting the needs of others first, others will suffer.

Until we all start putting the needs of others first, others will suffer.

Until we all start putting the needs of others first, others will suffer.

I suppose that does mean in everything I do, doesn't it?

So greed in any form is out, isn't it?

And I guess I've got my reason for being vegan, all meat production contributes to climate change, and starving of other people so that animals may be fed for food.

I can suddenly see more clearly why I mustn't smoke, from the production where people are oppressed to actually offending those around me, if I smoke I am not putting the needs of others first.

This is going to be harder than I first thought.

There goes any thought of travel, or buying new clothes, re-use, and re-use, and re-use and recycle, and don't buy from Tesco or other big nasty stores, ever, for any reason/excuse.

I had better go and get started on my new life.

Anyone want to join me?

_________________________________
it's a bit hard tho'
02.10.2005 13:48

If I am not surrounded in my much needed products, how am I to live?
Its so hard trying to get by without my SUV (I do live in the country) I need to keep up with the latest fashions or our clients may think our components are not dangerous enough. The job is so stressful I have become smoking addicted.

Go live in a cave!

consumer tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Joining" is optional
03.10.2005 14:38

'Art of War' said '...until we start...'
Not "...until we make a religion of it..."

"I suppose that does mean in everything I do, doesn't it?"
Yes, a consistent position is the best goal to aim for.

"So greed in any form is out, isn't it?"
Temptation comes to us all, and always will. It's how you choose to respond that matters.

"And I guess I've got my reason for being vegan, all meat production contributes to climate change, and starving of other people so that animals may be fed for food."
No, all meat production doesn't contribute to climate change. You can produce fish, poultry and even a little red meat on a distributed basis, without wrecking the climate further and without sweatshop labour.
But if you don't want to harm animals either, then yes you should eat as vegan as you can. If you can manage it 100%, then well done to you.

"I can suddenly see more clearly why I mustn't smoke, from the production where people are oppressed to actually offending those around me, if I smoke I am not putting the needs of others first."
Until tobacco and its products can be produced without sweatshop labour, then no, you shouldn't smoke.

"This is going to be harder than I first thought."
Yes indeed: your life will be less comfortable and convenient if you try to live ethically.

"There goes any thought of travel"
No, you can travel to all sorts of wonderful places without harming anyone or anything.

"or buying new clothes,"
Here ya go matey:
(clicky here).
(clicky here).

"re-use, and re-use, and re-use and recycle, and don't buy from Tesco or other big nasty stores, ever, for any reason/excuse."
It's better to shop for local produce from locally-owned shops, yes. The Co-Op supermarket tries reasonably hard to source their stuff ethically, and aren't geared to shutting down smaller competition. They're also run by and for their membership, not for shareholders.
(clicky here).

"I had better go and get started on my new life. Anyone want to join me?"
There are loads of us doing it already pal. Welcome. :)

Robbie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home